Thursday, April 16, 2009

DogfishHead ApriHop

Last night was the Pint Night at Max's. When I walked in, I was told it was ApriHop. Immediately, I figured it was another day for me to dislike the beer (I always try it, and leave disappointed with it). But for whatever reason this time, I really enjoyed it. Maybe it was so fresh that it turned me on. I don't know. I felt it was very sweet, malty sweet. A little bit of hops, but not overpowering. The aroma was good, and represented the taste well. I didn't ever think that I would like this one, but I did.

My second offering was Ommegang Rouge. I am a fan of Flemish Red beers, and I have been waiting to try this one. Finally, I was able to get into Max's when they had it on tap. The beer did not disappoint me. Deliciously sour, it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. The sourness hits you like a brick, and then disappears, making you go back for another sip. I would drink a couple of these, but I think it would be better to enjoy it every once in a while. I will think of it as a treat. (Normally, I don't drink Flemish Reds when I go out. I like to think of them as something to have to treat myself.)

Finally, I went with a York Nortic Fury, which was on cask. Probably not the best choice to go with an English Bitter following the Rouge, but I was going to give it a whirl. I usually like Bitters, and I was kind of in the mood for one. I must say I was disappointed in it. It just didnt give me what I was looking for, or the Rouge killed my taste buds and I didn't get everything out of the beer. I am hoping it is the latter, and I would grab another pint of it in the future to give it its due.

No comments:

Post a Comment