Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Weddings and beer

I don't dislike going to weddings. Most of the time, the wedding isn't bad (open bar, right?). But then the question of what beer/liquor is at the open bar comes up. This is how my conversation usually goes- first note that I am from NE-Central Pennsylvania, bartenders need to learn more about beer:

Me: What beer do you have? (Because it usually isn't visible.)

Bartender: Ummm, Bud, Bud Light, Heineken, Sam Adams, and some other stuff.

Me: Oh, what other stuff? Any IPAs, Pale Ales, or that sort?

Bartender: Well, we have some Yuengling. (note, I like Yuengling, I drink a lot of it. It is definitely not an ale.)

Me: (Looking dumbfounded at the bartender) Ok, well that is a lager, anything else back there that you never heard of?

Bartender: Well there is this Tro-eggs and Victory stuff, but I don't know what it is.

Me: I will take it all (figuring I can't go wrong with Troeg's or Victory).

Sometimes they don't have a good beer in the back. Worst I ran into was when I was at a wedding on Michigan's western shore. (This is pre-beer lover stage, but I after drink anything stage.) The groom, one of my good friends, ordered Bud Light for his wedding. One keg. Now if you brought together a bunch of guys, I think there were 200 guests total, and provided one keg, that isn't good planning. But besides that. The wedding was 45 minutes from Kalamazoo. That would be Bell's town. Why didn't we have something better. Sadly enough, we didn't know. If I knew then, what I know now. Anywho, the night was awesome (even with the Bud Light- Thank You 15 Year Old Single Malt Scotch), and we made it thought.

Another time, I was at a wedding that was all top shelf. The beer- Miller Lite. Seriously. I was blown away. Speechless. Not to mention this wedding took place across the river from Philly in NJ. Within an hours drive of countless breweries (Victory, Riverhorse, Lancaster, Sly Fox to name a few). Savior= Grand Marnier. I don't ask for much. Just a good beer.

With that note, I must admit that I am going to a wedding this weekend. The girl doesn't drink beer (she is in the wedding), so she will have her fruitty foo-foo drink, as I will hopefully be swilling something half decent (I am contemplating taking a cooler for in the car). The groom is a west coast guy, so I am hoping this plays in my favor.

Anyone else hate the bad beer at weddings thing?

3 comments:

  1. Great post.

    And I'm even guilty of the above wedding fouls. Got married 5 years ago, wasn't much of a beer geek then. So I had the typical garbage beer that 95% of the country drinks.

    This was up in Havre de Grace (Swan Harbor Farms). I could've easily had good, local beer (Clipper City, Dogfish Head was just an hour or so northeast, Troegs was just an hour north, etc.) But like you said, if I knew then what I know now...

    And to answer the question - yes, I now dislike attending weddings more than ever before (I used to love 'em!) because of the beer situation. All I can hope for as a back up, is quality tequila.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank god the last two weddings I've been to had good beer. Both grooms brewed their own beer. One brewed 10 cases, rented a trailer and drove the beer from MA to SC. Dedication. I also brewed for my wedding. Its the way to go. Don't know if you home brew, but if you do, you could offer to brew for your friends weddings. Saves them money and you get your own good beer. In addition, guests love it, even if they aren't beer drinkers. It's a good way to spread the craft beer gospel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea. I dont brew, but my brother does. There may be a wedding in my future, so I should con him into it.

    ReplyDelete