Friday, January 15, 2010

A porter I like?

While taking in the Ravens/Patriots game last Sunday at McGovern's, I decided to give the Evolution Lucky 7 Porter a try.  Normally I do not prefer the overly smokey or burnt taste to many porters.  This beer on the other hand was a delight.

It poured a dark dark brown, and produced a half inch tan head.  It had a faint smell of chocolate and smoke, with toffee and caramel coming in the nose as it warmed just a bit.  The taste was a delightful blend of the chocolate, toffee and caramel and a hint of smoke.  The little bit of bitterness came out at the end, just to break up the rest of the flavors.  The beer was very light and smooth, and at 5.8% made it extremely drinkable.

I liked this beer, and it somehow made me feel good to like a porter, one style that I don't drink often enough.  Many others love the burnt/smokey taste to the porters, but it just isn't my style.  The other porters that I would drink on most days are the Sierra Nevada Porter, and the Stone Vertical Epic 09-09-09 (which makes it hard to enjoy that beer, since I will have to find people to trade, I only have one bottle left- Should I keep shelf it?).

Anywho, any porter out there that you love?

No comments:

Post a Comment