Friday, January 6, 2012

The Session #59- Non-Beer Drinking

This month's topic for The Session is "I Almost Always Drink Beer, But When I Don't..." was hosted by Mario over at Brewed For Thought:
So as we are all incredibly interesting people, and almost always drink beer, let’s talk about what we drink when not drinking beer. Maybe your passion for coffee rivals that of craft beer, or it could be another alcoholic beverage such as scotch. My daughter being a root beer fan would appreciate her dad reviewing a few fizzy sodas. Maybe you have a drink that takes the edge off the beer, be it hair of the dog or a palate cleanser during the evening.

Beer cocktails, wines, ciders, meads, you name it as long as it’s not beer. Try to tie it in with craft beer in some way for extra credit. Be creative and I’ll see you guys in the new year.
I gave up soda about 3 years ago. I have nothing against High Fructose Corn Syrup. I love it actually, but for some reason I decided not to drink soda.  And let me tell you what, it is tough to order any of my former mixed drinks at an open bar- no more Scotch and soda, $2 Rum and Cokes, Seven and Sevens, so many pushed my determination to eliminate soda.

I love a good scotch. Really, I love any scotch. Sure it could be a 21 year old Macallan, but it doesn't need to be.  I like a 10 year old Speyburn as well (maybe not as much, but I still like it). I am no where near a scotch or whiskey connoisseur, I just enjoy the drink. But the best part about it is that I like it with 3 (no more, no less- hey, I just like the number 3) cubes of ice. I can drink it slow and steady, and enjoy every sip.

When scotch is not an option, I have no problems with blends (mmm, Tellamore Dew) or bourbons (give me some Jack or Jim). Really, the only liquor that I have not been into has been vodka. Just seems like something that begs for a bit of soda to help it out. While I do not drink a lot of tequila, the higher end drinks can be accepted like whiskey, and aren't as harsh as the cheap stuff.

Finally, I am intregued in the newest liquor that I have been given.  This year for Christmas, my brother gave me a bottle of Hatter Royale Hopquila from New Holland Brewing (here is the beer connection). This is an IPA that has been distilled and then dry hopped with Centennial hops.  I have no idea what to expect.  Online reviews have compared it to a whiskey or tequila, all I know is that I am intregued.  Can't wait to find out what it tastes like.

No comments:

Post a Comment